UMW Blogs loves Akismet

nullAfter reading this post by D’Arcy about how easy and free it is to get Akismet up and running for WordPress Multi-User, I finally decided to take the plunge and replace the developmentally languishing Spam Karma 2 with Akismet–I’ll miss you SK2! The setup was easy, and putting the link in the footer (which guarantees us a free educational copy) was dead simple thanks to D’Arcy’s second WordPress plugin (did I ever mention how insanely elated I am to have this guy working in the WPMu realm?).  For the last 24 hours Akismet has been running as the only spam filtering system on UMW Blogs (which averages over 60,000 comment spams a month) without a glitch. I have yet to see spam in the sitewide feed for comments, and I have to say I am pretty fired up about this move. For unlike Spam Karma 2, Akismet requires no setup on the part of the user, it works for every blog on the system and just does it’s job quietly behind the scenes. The only thing I need to do now is find a script to go into the UMW Blogs database and delete all the SK2 tables (which are filled with old spam) that have amassed over the last year, anyone already figure this one out?

Either way, thanks for the push D’Arcy, that’s what this community is for.

Creative Commons License photo credit: david trattnig

This entry was posted in , akismet, comments, community, Development, Plugin, spam, spam karma 2, UMW Blogs, Uncategorized, wpmu, wpmu development, wpmued. Bookmark the permalink.