Publishing Platforms and Cross-Campus Cultivation

Shawn Miller from Duke’s Center for Instructional Technology re-published my post “The UMW Blogs Story,” that chronicles the work we have been doing over the last several years. I am pretty excited that the approach of UMW’s Division of Teaching and Learning Technologies is providing others with fodder for thought. The group here at UMW is second to none in my mind, and we play just as hard as we work. But I’m not sure this post is about the people I work with, though I love them each and every one of them.

But the work on UMW Blogs is just one example amongst many. So as a follow-up I wanted to take a moment to point out some of the work other people at other institutions have been doing with publishing platforms (often called “blogging” platforms ) ).

There’s Mario Nùñez-Molina’s RUM Edublogs (who was the first person I started collaborating with while doing ELS Blogs back in Winter 2007). His advice, guidance, and help was (and continues to be) invaluable to the work we were doing at UMW, and his own publishing platform at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez has an attractive new front page, and is doing some great things with syndication in the “planeta” blogs.

Cole Camplese’s thoughts about re-imagining a blogging platform as far more has been immensely useful for us here at UMW. His team’s work is always about pushing the limits of these tools to be far more than just a blog, and PSU Blogs is probably one of the best examples of this, I highly recommend Cole’s posts on thinking about campus-wide blogging platforms as publishing spaces/portfolios here and here, as well as a syndicated publishing framework here –important conceptual stuff.

Barbara Sawhill and Ryan Brazell’s work at Oberlin College with blogging and the languages (though a quick look at the “Class Sites” tab suggests many more departments) frames one of the most important conversations in my mind: how can language departments all of the country (if not the world) be tapping a publishing platform like this to harness the unbelievably rich archive for language learning that is the open web?

Mikhail Gershovich and Luke Waltzer have launched Baruch Blogs this semester and it is a beauty. I particularly love the Baruch Teaching blog they have created which features a number of professors sharing their thoughts and opinions about the best approaches for teaching in a variety of scenarios. What an excellent idea for a blog! You can see it here or read Luke’s post about it here.

D’Arcy Norman’s stealth launch of U. Calgary Blogs has quickly been delivering the goods. I’m jealous already at how slick and pimped his WPMu install is –those folks at UCalgary are spoiled with this guy! He has also been thinking honestly through the value of a campus blogging platform, and what it might mean as a learning community publishing platform as well as a vehicle for Open Education. Plus, once D’Arcy gets started on something, you know the tips, tweaks, and general tech goodness is soon to follow, making him the Reverend’s most strategic convert )

I recently peaked over at Laura Blankenship’s Blogs at Bryn Mawr, I love the new theme, but more than that I am amazed at how they seem to be planning on using this space as a way of bringing together their campus community as well as the alumni from all over the country, if the “Who’s Blogging at Bryn Mawr” sidebar widget is any indicator. Using a blogging platform as a space for allowing the students, faculty, and staff to create quick and easy club and organizations spaces is a huge. This is a space to watch in my mind, we are finding much of the same activity here at UMW and I think it marks a changing tide in just how popular and powerful a user-friendly and open publishing platform will be on campus.

Image of Smith College BlogsEsther White’s recent work on Smith College Blogs is opening up some interesting ways to both think creating a dynamic front page for a campus blogging platform as well as using blogs as sites for faculty to create there own personal sites.

And then there is Tony Hirst at the Open University who is developing ways of turning a such a blogging platform as WPMu into an automated publishing platform fueled RSS from the course sites created at Open Learn. In short, a way for other institutions with flexible publishing platforms to pull in these resources as re-arrange, edit, and re-contextualize as they see fit. A mashup engine for educational resource that can be pulled in in a matters of seconds, that is one potential road we can imagine in our quest for simple, syndicated publishing platforms.

In short ) , “what we have here is the non-failure to communicate.” Above is a distributed group of people doing awesome work at their respective institutions and sharing it widely. What comes out of this is a loosely formed community of folks that have together framed one way of thinking about the future of sharing the work done online quickly and easily with very little overhead. What we have here is a community dedicated to sharing and openness, a model for open education that is firmly embedded in the an institution’s community, yet always already within the community of the open web. Feeds from other campus blogs, online resources, etc. can be brought in easily and shared readily, but that’s the subject of my next post….

This entry was posted in , wpmu, wpmu development. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Publishing Platforms and Cross-Campus Cultivation

1. Pingback: Phil’s JISC CETIS blog» Blog Archive » The learning content management repository virtual environment system 2.0 and its future, summarized