Upgrading UMW Blogs to WPMu 2.6 Screencast

Andy Rush and I sat down yesterday morning and did a “live” screencast of the process for upgrading UMW Blogs from WPMu 1.3.3 to 2.6. It was conceived as a straightforward video for an easy process, but even easy is hard for a moron like me. So forgive all the upgrading bloopers and blunders. This video might be enjoyed more as a cautionary tale of what not to do when upgrading than an informative how-to. It’s availabe for anyone who is considering doing an upgrade but is concened or nervous about the prospect.  In fact, the upgrade is quite painless in the end.

This entry was posted in , wpmu, wpmu development. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Upgrading UMW Blogs to WPMu 2.6 Screencast

1. Paul H says:

Hi Jim, we just watched your screencast (and Qikked ourselves watching it http://qik.com/video/149242 ) thanks very much (and it’s very funny too, in a ghoulish way). We upgraded from 1.3.3 to 1.5 without too much trouble a couple of weeks ago and want to go to 2.6 but have a quick question about the AUTH_KEY, AUTH_SALT, SECRET_KEY etc settings which I don’t think you seemed to change or input. We had to create a couple of keys for the upgrade to 1.5, but there are a few more in 2.6

2. Reverend says:

Paul,

It was both strange and a blast watching you watch the screencast we produced. Glad you found some little joy in our trainwreck 🙂 I highly recommend Userthemes, there are some dangers with people including malacious php or javascript, but if you know the uer and control who users this feature, it can be quite useful.

I forgot to mention the Salt technique for encryption, Gaby has a good explanation of why its important in this comment on bavatuesdays here. And yeah, there are some new ones fro WPMu 2.6, and I filled them out after the upgrade.